Thursday, December 26, 2013

WOW, How time flies!


Well after about 5 months of not posting much, 

I suppose it is time to get caught back up on things!  Life has changed DRASTICALLY since posting last in July, but I must say I am in a much better place now than I was.  Lots of adjustments and changes, but all have ended up working out pretty well!  

A quick update on the last 5 months, both via pictures and words :)
  • Work is going GREAT!  So many things have started to finally make sense and I can actually see where my work is going to good use.  The students I work with constantly challenge me to look past the stereotypes and misconceptions that society places on many "othered" groups to see them for exactly what they are: human beings.  No matter what your background may be, EVERY person deserves the right to gain an education and further themselves.  The change in perspective is beautiful and I am excited to see what other exciting opportunities are ahead!
My first crew of graduating students!  Crazy :)
  • I am living in La Crosse in an apartment with Nick, which is going great!  If you would have asked me 5 years ago if I would ever be living with my twin brother again, I think my response would be HELL NO.  It is great to both be at good places in our lives.
    First of WAY too many birthday drinks.
  • Music continues to flood my life, filling me up each and every day with lots of happiness.  Grand River Singers has been an AMAZING addition to my life this year and taken me all over the place.  From Minneapolis to Illinois to Disneyland, I have been blessed with SO many opportunities to interact with others through the art of performance.  Beyond traveling and performing, I really do feel like I have gained a new family support system!  Regardless of what is happening, I know I have 20 best friends who would do most anything for me.  What a great comfort to have a new musical family in my new home. :)  I also joined a chamber choir in La Crosse to continue my love for classical choral music.
    Performing at Disneyland!  Once in a lifetime opportunity to check off the bucket list.
  • After a long summer of injury and 9 weeks on crutches, I am finally getting back into good health!  After multiple weeks of physical therapy and some chiropractic adjustments, I think I am finally getting back to my old self!  Getting healthy in time for Disneyland and the winter burlesque show was just what I needed!  Burlesque was SO much fun and I can't wait for another one!
    I never thought I could actually take a GOOD serious picture!
  • Traveling back to Eau Claire for homecoming in October was a fantastic weekend of crazy good times.  I must be honest in saying my heart aches to be back in Eau Claire, giving tours and singing my heart out in HFA 143 nearly every day.  But as I get accustomed to my new life post graduation, the aching feeling turns into a grateful appreciation for the experiences I have had.  I would LOVE to do college all over again, but know it would not be near as fun the second time.  I took advantage of every thing I could have and am so proud to be a Blugold Alumni!
And the tradition continues :)
  • After a crazy last few weeks before the holidays, I had an AMAZING Golden birthday party with friends.  The night was hilarious and it was fantastic spending time with so many of my best friends.  If you have never gone out wearing onesie footie pajamas, you should try it.  They were so comfy, caused a scene at most places, and made for some great memories.  23 was a a huge year of change and I am excited to see what 24 is going to bring too!
    Downtown Pajama Party.  Highly recommend it!
While the last 5 months have been a roller coaster of change and emotions, I feel like I am going into 2014 a MUCH better person than in 2013.  A college graduate, a full-time adult...... CRAZY SHIT TO THINK ABOUT.  Growing up is nuts, but I am learning to embrace the journey.  Always a kid at heart, but striving for new, exciting opportunities each day is what I hope to do!  I know I am in a place now that will project me into the future that I want. Grad school and moving may be in the future, but for now, La Crosse is where my heart will be. :)  
Cheesy, but loving this song these days.  
Not always the biggest T. Swift fan, but the lyrics to this song are spot on :)

Thank you to everyone who has made 2013 the best year of my life!  I am constantly amazed by the network of support I have picked up along the way.  From my birth family to UWEC to Grand River and more, I have been so lucky to continue to receive unconditional love in every new place I go.  With continued love and support from those I care so much about, I know there will be many exciting things ahead.  

Happy Holidays to all those I love!  Hope this last week of 2013 can be a time of reflection on the great year gone by and a time to get ready for the new journey that 2014 will be!  


Enjoy every moment.
MQ

No comments:

Post a Comment