Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stereotypes are silly.

A very interesting read and video that I spent my afternoon browsing through.
This article discusses why gay men hate other gay men and the entire culture of self hate.  Self hate is something everyone goes through, regardless of sexual orientation.  Everyone experiences times of being upset with others and not being happy with them self.  It is when people use stereotypes to impose hate on other people is when there is an issue.


Growing up in a small town, there was no such thing as "gay culture" or a gay community that I knew of.  After living somewhere a bit larger for college and having many gay friends, it is very interesting to see the dynamics that many gay men have interacting with one another.  This video gives a great myriad of of the different ways that gay men "hate" each other based on stereotypes imposed by the straight culture we live in.  When it comes down to it, this video makes me sad, but the ideas brought up are real and true.

More than anything, this video reminds me that loving others is priority in life.  No matter where I go and what I do, I try to infuse love in every single thing.  While I know I am not perfect and everyone has certain people they don't like being with or don't get along with, I think that the language we use is big.  If you dislike a person who is gay, saying you hate gay guys in general adds a HUGE group of people that you are stereotyping into being the exact same.  It is not fair to do that too all people who are gay or to any population of people.  How often have you heard someone say "I hate straight people"?  Some interesting food for thought, but something that I often think about.  Be specific with your feelings and strive to not "group" people into categories that are untrue and unfair, whether it is sexual orientation, religion, race, class, etc.

Regardless of how someone expresses who they are, treat them as there own individual person.  We all have special characteristics that make us unique individuals and by lumping people together, it is easy to forget what makes someone special.  
Love people for who they are and don't strive for anything less.  :)

Enjoy every moment.
MQ

No comments:

Post a Comment